Monday, January 20, 2014

The decision was made to have the
 octopus a little more unfurled.  Of course you've gotta paint white down to make almost anything
else opaque or you'd see the dark coral right through the red arms here.

Maybe 5 more days to finish?!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

I didn't add retarder to the paints here.  This means working fast in sections and blending with your fingers sometimes.  I'm usually wearing latex gloves here.

Reworked. Again.  I just didn't like the
way they looked the first time.  I sanded off some of the yellow and reapplied shading (greys) and then a thinner yellow.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Wasn't sure how to paint this.

This green anemone was something I considered difficult (until doing it).

I used straight dark green (shown here) as a background then mixed in this red (to tone it down) then added a little white to do the separate stalks.
The orange and red paints on the right, (AGAIN - 20 YR OLD PAINTS!) were used for the clown fish.

always-challenging; Acrylics

 This Liquitex BASICS paint that I'm using here is about 20 years old.  Still good enough quality to use!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Sometimes you screw up and then you're free-hand painting things ( like I'm doing here with these fish).

This lavender hue is being put on quickly and will gel somewhat then I put on a dark charcoal shade on top.  Then I'm taking fingertips to it to make it look like splotchy coral.

I'm shading this fish before I ever put coloration on them.  The yellow I'm going to add is so translucent that you'll see all this shading.